Wednesday, August 1, 2012

An Adventure at the Ballpark...

I've spent a lot of time in stadiums over the past few years but I've never seen anything quite like the new Marlins Park.  It is the epitome of Miami...colorful, exotic, fun, classy, playful, exciting...well, you get the picture.

Robert Castro (Miss Florida Organization's graphic designer and so much more) went out of his way to set up our day at Marlins Park.  He knows I love baseball and he arranged all of this for me.  I could not be more grateful.  It was such a fun day.

We learned a few days before the game that I would be throwing out the first pitch.  Now, just because I watch a lot of baseball doesn't mean I can actually play baseball...or even throw a ball for that matter.  So, naturally, I figured everyone was in for a good laugh.  When we arrived at the park, we learned that a dog was also throwing out the first pitch.  Based on what I know about canine anatomy, I figured this would be difficult.  Mary and I were forced to inquire about this dog's pitch as we were concerned I would be holding the dog while throwing my ball and we knew that wouldn't do anyone any favors.  It was then that we discovered there were quite a few pitchers involved in the pre-game festivities at Marlins Park on this particular Sunday.  I was one of many throwing out the first pitch and I instantly felt better about it.  I threw some warm up pitches and my arm was feeling good.  I was ready to go.

And then the time came for me to make my way to the mound for my first pitch.  Somehow, in the time it took me to walk to the mound, my pants began to fall down a little.  Here's proof:





So, with my sagging pants and racing heart, I geared up to throw my pitch.  Mind you, the plate seemed MUCH further away from the mound at that point and I wasn't even standing on the mound.  Needless to say, my pitch bounced.  What do they tell you NOT to do when you throw a first pitch?  Bounce it.  I bounced the dickens out of that pitch.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq0Pcdd9tF4

All you can do is laugh about that abysmal attempt to throw a first pitch.  We went to our seats soon after and enjoyed the game for a couple of innings before walking around the amazing park.  It was about 95 degrees outside so an outdoor game would have been a sweat bath.  But, Marlins Park can close it's roof and turn on the AC for a very pleasant fan experience.  We visited the Bobblehead Museum...



Met Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen...



And I did some TV hits for Marlins Vision:



Everybody at the park was so hospitable and we enjoyed all the areas we visited and the people we met.  The game was an exciting one as it went into extra innings and the Marlins came away with a win!  

No comments:

Post a Comment