Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A New Partnership!

I am excited to announce that my platform as Miss Florida will be The Miracle League!

This is an organization I've worked with a great deal for the last two years during my time as a broadcaster for Tampa Bay Rays baseball.  The Miracle League in St. Petersburg is one of their partners and I got involved through MLB.

So, what is The Miracle League?

It's an incredible organization that gives people with disabilities an opportunity to play baseball and feel a sense of normalcy in their lives.  Miracle League fields are made out of a rubberized surface that is compatible with mobility equipment of all kinds.  Children and adults alike can hit a baseball and make their way around the bases alone or with the help of a buddy.  Buddies are parents, volunteers, children and anyone who wants to help.  The buddies are often referred to as "angels in the outfield."

Currently, there are about 250 Miracle Leagues around the country but I want to help make more.  I don't think any person with disabilities should be deprived of the opportunity to play a game so many love.  Also, it's not just about the game of baseball.  This game is the foundation the organization is built on but the main focus is promoting a sense of normalcy for these children and adults and allowing them to interact with others who do not have disabilities.  Baseball provides a common ground that creates a beautiful bond and bridges generation gaps easily.

The Miracle League headquarters are in Conyers, Georgia so my trip to Atlanta had an exciting purpose.  I was able to officially partner with The Miracle League and meet with the Executive Director, Diane Alford and the Program Director Stephanie Davis.  I learned so much from them about what they do on a daily basis to reach out to people with disabilities and how I can help.  I am ready to devote as much time as possible to promoting their cause this year and all my years after as I strongly believe in what they're doing.

Here's the website for more information:  www.miracleleague.com








No comments:

Post a Comment