Friday, July 20, 2012




July 15th: I'd hate to make too many people who don't live in the state of Florida jealous but I'm going to say this anyway.  Waking up in Florida is magnificent.  We are so lucky to live in such a beautiful state and I am always reminding myself to enjoy the post card scenery that surrounds us daily.

I attended the "Joe Maddon Summer Social" today at Tropicana Field.  It's an event that allows fans to interact with Rays players and coaches in an intimate setting.  More importantly, however, it benefits the Rays Foundation which raises money for those in need all over Florida.  It has been truly amazing to talk with people about what Miss Florida does and tell them why Miss Florida and Miss America are representative of a modern woman with intelligence, poise, beauty, dreams and tangible goals.  I've enjoyed talking about all the women I've competed with and how they've changed my life and inspired me.  All of YOUR stories are great conversation starters and I love to brag about the dynamic ladies dispersed throughout this state.  Most of the baseball fans at Maddon's Summer Social weren't necessarily interested in pageants...or at least they didn't think they were.  When they learned more about MAO, the scholarship, the talent, and the community service, I watched their eyes light up and their demeanor change drastically.



Medical Home Doctors Grand Opening
                                       



July 17th:  One man's trash is another man's treasure.  Those were the words that occurred to me as I listened to the St. Petersburg City Council members speak about the Medical Home Doctors Grand Opening.  This Grand Opening was to recognize a building that used to be an auto repair garage and will now serve as a medical clinic.  Talk about making the most of a situation!  This clinic is a welcomed addition to an area in need of good medical care.  Dr. Jonadab Uzoho is a Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor and he has special training in physical therapy.  He will be offering free weight loss consultations to the community among other great services.  Dr. Uzoho said it was very important to him to come back to a community that was important to him because he wants to help and that's his primary motivation.  It was exciting to see all of the city council members, St. Pete Mayor Foster and more supporting a new business in the area.  Oh, and we even cut a ribbon :)

Rays Pitcher David Price at Dugout Club



July 18th: Up bright and early this morning for an adventure with the Rays Dugout Club.  Rays players David Price and Desmond Jennings participated in the Dugout Club and spoke to four different groups of children around the St. Petersburg community.  We were greeted by cheers and bright eyes.  All of these children were vibrant and curious and it was an invigorating morning. Our main emphasis was fitness and encouraging these children to go outside and play. It's simple but it's something that's very important to me and I know it's a crucial part of the Rays Dugout Club's mission.



Dancing with Betty!


I left the younger generation to spend some time with the greatest generation at the Senior Tea Dance.  This is an event for senior citizens in St. Petersburg where they learn how to ballroom dance, socialize and enjoy snacks.  I got to dance with some of the "dance hosts" who promptly taught me the fox trot.  As a ballet dancer, I figured I'd be pretty good at ballroom dancing but it turns out I have two left feet and they don't do anything remotely close to fox trotting.  Either way, we "cut a rug" as they kept telling me and it was a wonderful event.  I look forward to attending as many senior tea dances as I can and hope I don't wear out my welcome!

Senior Tea











No comments:

Post a Comment