Tuesday, January 15, 2013


I'm baaaaaaaaaccckkkk!!!

Wow, what an adventure.  I could have never imagined how much I would learn from an experience like Miss America.  I feel so incredibly blessed to have had the opportunity to compete in such a legendary competition but I also feel so fortunate to be going back home where I can serve the state I love.  I came away from Vegas with a whole pile of new and amazing friends, a deep gratitude to all those who helped build me up and a greater understanding of myself and where I'm supposed to be.  Miss America is a life-changing, mind-boggling experience.  I was constantly struck with how unforgettable each moment was.  I am thrilled for the next Miss Florida as she too will go to Miss America and experience one of the best times of her life.  I can't wait to shower her with advice!

Here's a day by day recap of everything that happened at Miss America:

Day 1:  ARRIVAL:  I got to the Tampa airport for a very early flight and I was greeted by the wonderful Rob Loy (Miss Florida board member and friend).  I was all decked out in an outfit meant for much colder weather desperately trying not to sweat my spray tan off before I even got to Vegas.  Rob and I took a few last minute photos and I was off!  I ended up sitting by a very rambunctious baby on my way to Vegas and he decided I was his jungle gym for most of the 4 hour flight.  I figured it was great preparation to be Miss America...

When I landed in Las Vegas, I was greeted by Chris with Miss America security.  He quickly became one of my favorites thanks to his jovial sense of humor and love of sports.  We piled my two suitcases in the car (we shipped most of my wardrobe there) and headed to the Planet Hollywood hotel!  As soon as I got to the hotel, I started seeing the other contestants and after multiple embraces, I realized I was about to make some lifelong friends.  My roommate, Miss South Dakota is one of them.  I was instantly at ease thanks to her warmth and we had many good laughs throughout the week.  Calista, you are phenomenal!  

The rooms at the hotel were great because both girls get a hanging rack and an individual sink!  We set up some of our stuff and quickly had to change for the arrival ceremony.  I got to see all of the girls at the ceremony and the excitement in the air was palpable.  We all knew someone's life was changing forever in a matter of days and it was thrilling to contemplate.  We finished the arrival ceremony and went to a meeting with the MAO office where they served pizza and cake.  We all ate it, of course and were thrilled to have it!  I sat at a table with Miss Michigan and Miss Alabama and we all listened intently to their accents as they talked.  Miss Alaska told me she thought she was beginning to sound like Alabama accidentally.  At this point, we didn't all know each other's names well so we would often refer to each other as our states.  You would hear someone yell, "Puerto Rico" or "South Carolina" across the room.

After the meeting, we went to an interview session with the LiveWell Network.  By this time, us east coast girls were beginning to feel the repercussions of being awake since 4 AM and we were fading fast.  We finally went upstairs to bed and tried to get some shut-eye amidst all the excitement.

Day 2:  REHEARSAL:  For me, the second day at Miss America was mostly spent rehearsing for upcoming video shoots and for the preliminary nights.  Other girls were being pulled for interviews that we all did eventually but I stayed in rehearsal all day learning the swimsuit and evening gown walking patters as well as the opening number.  We had a great time getting to know each other better and I think I probably talked to about 38 girls just finding out more about them and enjoying their stories throughout the day.  We had about 15 minutes to change for our event that night so we all hustled to our rooms and everyone came out looking so beautiful.  I can't even tell y'all how pretty all of these girls are!  Pictures don't do them justice.  Our appearance was at the Terry Fator ventriloquist show and it was phenomenal.  We were all blown away at his talents and had a fun time going out on the stage and being introduced to the crowd.

Day 3: REHEARSAL AND MORE:  We continued to rehearse everything and began to lose all ability to know what day or time it was.  It was actually nice because we were not allowed to have our phones so we adjusted and enjoyed life without contact to regular society.  That night we had the Miss America Fashion Show at Las Vegas Fashion Show Mall.  It was incredible.  I could have never imagined myself walking in a fashion show like this and I'm sure I wasn't the coolest on the runway but it was an absolute blast.  I will never forget what it felt like to wave at the crowd from that runway.

After the fashion show, we went to Bucca Di Beppo for a delicious dinner.  It was hilarious seeing all these girls in crowns and sashes pigging out on bread and italian food but we were ready to eat!  Then, they brought out the biggest ice cream sundae I have ever seen and the whole thing got even funnier.  We all went nuts as we hadn't had ice cream in quite some time and everyone was laughing so hard.  Stomach aches quickly followed but it was all worth it.  I even got to stir a huge pot of marinara sauce with Miss California.  What a night!

DAY 4:  FILMING: It was an early morning filled with fruit snacks and peanut butter (thank goodness for the Miss America hostesses) as we hopped on the bus to film our introduction for the ABC broadcast.  My group filmed at the Boneyard in Vegas and we had so much fun.  It was such an interesting place-- a graveyard of sorts for old signs.  We returned to rehearsal and had an early night because my group started interviews the next morning.  We enjoyed getting sleep when we could and I spent time reading cards everyone had sent me.  The wonderful support is so enriching and I am honored to have so many people behind me.  

DAY 5:  INTERVIEW:  Today was the first day we got to rehearse in the Planet Hollywood theater and it was magical.  I never even spent time thinking about what it would feel like to be on the Miss America stage and there I was, standing on it.  We all started joking because as the day went on, people slept on the stage, sat down on the stage, and even slipped on the stage.  We all agreed that we would have never imagined sleeping on the Miss America stage.  It was all surreal and I loved just rehearsing walking patterns on the stage because it was so magnificent.  

Around noon I was dismissed from rehearsal to go prepare for my interview.  My incredibly talented makeup artist and great friend Hollie O'Brien met me to do my hair and makeup and she did an exceptional job (it takes a lot to make me look presentable and she got it done!).  I went upstairs to wait for my interview in my hotel room and did my final preparations.  One of the last things I did was watch Cullen Johnson (Miss Virginia) in her Miss America interview in 1995.  She was Heather Whitestone's first runner up and Mary showed me her interview a couple of months ago.  I absolutely loved it and felt she is a true representation of how to be yourself in any situation.

My interview was very difficult but I felt very prepared thanks to the Miss Florida board and all of the thoughtful mock interview judges I had over the past few months.  The Miss America judges asked me about everything from gun control to what I would discuss with President Obama if I could sit him down in the White House right now.  I am very critical of myself but I felt like I did the best I could with the questions I was given and felt a sense of relief when it was over. 
That night we got to eat a very satisfying dinner while watching the second half of the national championship game.  While enjoying piles of Dorito mac and cheese, we watched Alabama crush Notre Dame!

DAY 6:  TALENT:  When we arrived at the theater Tuesday morning, we all immediately ran to the stage to see how slippery it was.  Upon discovering that it was very slick, I started praying.  Rehearsal was alright but I felt like I was dancing on ice.  Thank goodness for Shea Sullivan’s encouragement.  I felt like a crazy person shaking my tambourine all over that stage but she made me feel like I was doing Florida proud!  I promised myself I would give it my all that night because it might be the last time I ever danced ballet on the Miss America stage.  Sure enough, it was and I had the time of my life out there.  I’m so thankful I got the chance to dance on that stage and I was so glad my family was there to see it!  Thank you to Shea Sullivan for the awesome choreography and thank you to Mary Angles for the incredible costume.  I am so honored I had the chance to wear it on a beautiful stage.

DAY 7:  ON STAGE QUESTION:  Wednesday was a nice break in the middle of the week with just on stage question to focus on.  I loved the opportunity to talk about my platform The Miracle League a little bit more.  All the on stage questions on preliminary nights at Miss America are platform based so every girl gets a chance to promote her platform no matter what.  I was able to tell the audience about how to raise funds for The Miracle League and talk about my friend Matt Walker who first told me about this organization when he invited me to his baseball game and I learned about how they build baseball fields for children with disabilities. 

Also, I cannot thank Regalia Magnificent Apparel and Juan Carlos Pinera enough for my on stage question dress.  I loved wearing it and I felt it was the epitome of class. 

DAY 8:  SWIMSUIT AND EVENING GOWN:  I could not have been more excited to wear my evening gown.  I am so grateful for the generosity of Carry and David at Regalia.  They gave me a gown that made me feel amazing and for the first time ever, I felt like I actually looked like I belonged in a pageant (haha!).  It was sooo cold running from the dressing room tent to the stage in a swimsuit.  I definitely should have brought a robe…

Thursday night was very emotional for all of the contestants because we realized we had finished competing and there was nothing more we could do.  It was then in the hands of the judges to decide who would make the top 15 and ultimately who would become Miss America.  There was a weight on our shoulders that many of us couldn’t describe.  The more I think about it, I think it was that we all knew someone’s life would change forever and that Miss America 2013 was among us.  In that moment, everything we all did seemed to carry more importance.

DAY 9:  What a day!  This one started really early for me…3:30 AM in fact.  I was selected with Miss California to do the Satellite Media Tour for Artistry and Amway.  Basically, we reported to the camera set at 4:15 AM and did interviews for TV stations around the country (about 35) about Amway’s scholarship money, Artistry and Miss America.  It was an incredible opportunity and I am so glad I got the experience of speaking with so many different media outlets in a day.  It was exhausting as I only got an hour and 45 minutes of sleep but so worth it and great preparation for my job as Miss Florida!  I went straight to rehearsal after doing the 4 hour media tour, then to a Sketchers commercial shoot with Brooke Burke and then to a dinner at Burgr in Planet Hollywood (yum).  I am thankful MAO gave me the chance to do so many media appearances while in Vegas.  Promoting the Miss Florida organization was very important to me and I feel I was able to get our name out there a great deal.

Day 10:  FINALS:  Some girls say they woke up on Saturday morning with a sense of calm.  I don’t think I necessarily had a sense of calm but I did have a strong sense that the “right” thing was going to happen.  I felt the entire situation was in God’s hands and there was nothing any of us could do to change the situation.  I enjoyed the final day with all the new friends I had made and tried to milk all the moments for all they were worth.  I fully prepared myself to make the top 15 and also to not make the top 15.  I ate a bagel and a lot of mini Snickers bars and got ready to watch someone’s life be changed.  I will never forget standing backstage with Miss Colorado, Miss Hawaii, Miss Illinois, Miss Puerto Rico, Miss Delaware and Miss Arkansas right before we were about to go out on the Miss America stage one last time.  We all cried a little bit when the show started and we realized we were actually about to compete in Miss America on live television.  It is a surreal moment and I understand I’m in a small group of women who ever get to experience it. 

I was incredibly honored to be called as a part of the top 15.  While I was cut shortly after being called and only did swimsuit, I was so thankful to even be a part of it all.  I cannot say enough about how impressive each and every one of these women are.  The caliber of their character, class and compassion is astounding and I am so excited to see what each one does to change the world.  Our future is in great hands.  I am so happy for Miss America 2013, Mallory Hagan.  She is so passionate about this organization and she is a savvy business woman.  She will further MAO and her progress will be admired by all as she touches many lives this year. 

I feel so fortunate to have had the chance to compete in Miss America and represent the state of Florida on a national level.  I was constantly struck with how lucky I am to have all the sponsors we have here.  I cannot thank all of you enough.  Ann Marie Griffin: you have given me more than I could ever name.  Thank you for all the beautiful clothes and thank you for your constant support and kind words.  I received so many compliments on my wardrobe throughout my week at Miss America and it got to the point where people would ask, “Is that from Ann Marie too?”  I had so many girls say they wished they had an “Ann Marie” too!  I could not be happier with all the beautiful clothes and it gives me great encouragement to keep hitting the gym so I can still fit in them!

Speaking of the gym, special thanks to Matt and Hollie O’Brien.  Matt: you gave me the confidence to strut my stuff in swimsuit and feel healthy and strong throughout a tough week.  I stayed healthy and energized the whole time despite a severe lack of sleep and I firmly believe it’s thanks to all the intense training that Matt put me through before I left.  I also feel stronger dancing than I ever have and it’s all because of my work in the TrYumph gym!  Hollie:  thank you for making me look glamorous at Miss America with your amazing makeup and hair skills!  It was so nice to not have to fool with my hair and makeup and know that it would be taken care of by an absolute pro.  You made me look like me with a little extra glam and I loved every minute in the hair and makeup room with you!

I don’t even know where to start with my thank yous to the Miss Florida board.  Mary: you prepared me better than I ever thought I could be prepared for Miss America.  You have taught me so much and given me a confidence I never thought I would have.  I am so excited to hit the ground running with you in Florida!  Rob, Keith, Kitty, Dana, Kim and Ray: many thanks for all of your support at Miss America and from a distance.  Your encouragement during Miss America kept me going at times when I was worried I wasn’t doing enough to make Florida proud.  What you all do for young women is truly remarkable. 

Thank you to my amazing parents who took a week out of their lives to come and support me.  As much as I don’t like seeing my face on a large sign, I appreciate the signs and the love more than you will ever know.  I know it’s been a long 3 years in the pageant world but 10 pageants later, I am stronger, more confident and ready to take on anything that comes my way.  Thank you mom, dad, Dave and Alex for helping me in so many ways.  Thank you to my incredibly supportive and patient boyfriend Josh for sponsoring and reassuring me throughout this process.  You and your amazing parents have offered wisdom and humor in moments that could have been frustrating.

The thank yous continue….Thank you to my amazing friends in Largo, Florida.  The Miss Largo board of directors came along to support me in Vegas and it was so wonderful to have them there for this journey.  Thank you to my best friend Olivia and her beautiful mom and sister for coming to cheer me on and for all the fun over the years.  Thank you to Kelly for the constant, incomparable humor.  I don’t know what I would have done without you!  Thank you to the Lupo family for coming to join us and so many thanks to my gorgeous princess Leah Roddenberry and her mom for being there as well.  I’m sure I’m leaving someone out but I could not be more appreciative of all the wonderful cheerleaders I had in Vegas.  It was so humbling.

I am so excited to get back to work in Florida.  I am working now to schedule an array of appearances and I am looking forward to promoting the Everglades Foundation as well as my platform the Miracle League.  This is a year and an opportunity I will never take for granted and I am eager to serve my state to the best of my ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment