Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Picking my Miss America Placement...

The title of this blog entry is so hard to wrap my mind around.  I know I probably sound like a broken record but this is a dream I never felt would become my reality.  I always imagined I would watch other accomplished, powerful young women compete in Miss America and it truly amazes me that I too will have this opportunity.  When I found out about the Miss America placement lottery system, I thought, "well, I don't really have a preference for where I go because I'm just glad to be there."  Mary told me there have been Miss Floridas called last in the lottery so I was prepared for the comedy that would ensue if I was called last.  Instead, I got called relatively early in the selection process and was able to pick a spot I'm very happy with.  For those attending Miss America, I will be in the Alpha group number 14.  This means I do talent on the first night of competition, on stage question the second night and evening gown and swimsuit the third.  Even more exciting, I'm in the Alpha group with my two good friends Miss Colorado and Miss Arizona!  I am really looking forward to a wonderful week in January with women I know will be great lifelong friends.

Speaking of lifelong friends, Ann Marie Griffin is an amazing woman I'm so honored to call my friend. I admire everything she does so much and once again, she impressed me so much with her generosity.  Ann Marie stopped by Mary's house after the  lottery selection with a wonderful gift just because.  I am so incredibly lucky to be surrounded with incredible people who give their time selflessly.



Then, to top it all off, Ann Marie let me come shop in her store and gave me a number of beautiful pieces that I cannot wait to wear to appearances and to Miss America.  Her store has so much selection and she is an angel to the Miss Florida Organization.  I can never properly thank Ann Marie for all her kindness but I will certainly try and I highly recommend everyone visiting her store to see some of the new clothes she just got in!  Thank you so much, Ann!


I knew I was fortunate to have Mary Sullivan's guidance when I was first learning about all I would do as Miss Florida but it becomes more and more apparent each day that her constant devotion to this organization is unparalleled.  When we were picking my spot for Miss America, she sat there with me diligently until my name was called and then stayed at the computer with me until everything was finalized.  I couldn't help but think about all the other girls picking their spots alone and I am so thankful that I am never alone in anything I do for Miss Florida because I always have Mary's wisdom and reassurance to lean on.  I was able to spend some time at Mary's house again over the past week and I can already tell I'll miss being with her so much after this year is over.  I am determined to soak everything she teaches me up like a sponge and enjoy all 365 days of this whirlwind year.  Thank you, Mary for EVERYTHING you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment